Stuff I say...

I don't run after people... It ruins my pretty shoes... How can we expect anything to change, when our actions remain the same? Creator of trouble... Bye, bye kitty... Mondays always need an extra shot of espresso... I don't follow my destiny, I make my destiny... Crazy/Beautiful...
I fell in love with the stars, the beauty of the night....

Saturday, August 18, 2012

It this really real?!


This annoys me...


Okay, now here is why this gets on my nerves.

I am addicted to Pinterest and I have been seeing this image all the time. One comment that got to me was the following "These are all beautiful women, but I'd rather look like a beautiful, curvy vase than a stiff, little popsicle stick"

Really? C'mon people play nice. Not everyone can look like a Dove model and I'm not going to insult them because I cannot look like a model for REAL beauty. 

To be honest, I am annoyed with Dove as well. Where is the diversity? These women all have a similar body shape, there is only one short woman, and why do they all look more or less the same age? This isn't real either, it's a marketing scheme like ALL adverts. They chose women who have the most identifiable body type that are probably in the age category that correlates with the majority of Dove product users.

The models in the VS campaign all have personal trainers and work really hard to maintain their bodies. They might not represent most women, but there are women who can identify with them.  


Beauty comes in ALL shapes and sizes, so love yourself and don't be mean to someone who doesn't fit your idea of real beauty. 
My goodness, the world does really seem like a shallow pool this week. 


6 comments:

  1. Agree, as usual, people "attack" the profiles they can't fit into, and as the majority of women are probably more like the Dove ad ladies, they "prefer" that look. Deep down though, most would give 20 years of their life to look like those at the top!!! But, as you say, the selection of models in each case is based on a specific market. To each their own. And appreciate all for what they are. Salagatle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Wreckless says above, but let's face it, there's a snowball's chance in hell of having any ad agency posting an ad featuring models of both persuasions (your top and bottom images) because they supposedly target different markets.

    Bottom line is, however, that they target the SAME market....the female species. Try and get VS to publish an ad featuring both "types" of models? No chance...

    And yes, the gene pool is shallow this week. So shallow, I can see my ankles... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do target the same market, but everyone is under the impression that Dove is showing 'real' beauty, which is a load of trash. Their add lacks as much diversity as the VS add... The thing is not so much the advert as the response its getting from women. Yeah, no skinny girls, okay, but it's not to improve anyone's confidence, its all about money and the silly woman who made that harsh comment about the skinny models is to flipping ignorant to note that.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely true...

    IMHO...

    VS is all about selling one thing......sex. Not underwear, and nothing else. Just sex.

    Dove, on the other hand, have realised that there are only so many ways you can sell soap or skin products. The other way is...sex.

    Looking at various cultures, men from different countries prefer their women in "different styles". Black African males, for example (and yes, I'm generalising a little), like their women to have a bit of a big backside. White African males, on the other hand, like the sexy, petite, ladies with "curves in the right places".

    "Real" beauty is personal. What one man/woman likes in another, may not necessarily apply to the person sitting next to him/her. Which is why the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The classification of women according to their curves in relation to culture.... sounds like an article that needs to be written... hehe!

      As personal as it is, it does not give anyone the right to break someone else down and make them feel like less of a person...and that is what got to me the most.

      Delete