Stuff I say...

I don't run after people... It ruins my pretty shoes... How can we expect anything to change, when our actions remain the same? Creator of trouble... Bye, bye kitty... Mondays always need an extra shot of espresso... I don't follow my destiny, I make my destiny... Crazy/Beautiful...
I fell in love with the stars, the beauty of the night....

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A critical look at criticism...

What is the normal response to criticism?
 I guess a bruised ego is the outcome, which fuels quite a bit of anger...
According to all those self help books, we should use criticism to grow and become better people...
Yes, got that, just one problem... (show me one person who actually reads a self help book and applies all of the advice?!) No one responds well to hearing that they're not good enough or that they're not up to standard.

Okay so now, I've noticed that the ones who are so good at handing out 'constructive' criticism are the worst at receiving criticism... No surprises there I guess, those who seek faults in others deny their own...

Sometimes I wonder how people can go through their lives finding fault with everyone else, the world, the government, but never themselves...
After questioning this, I wonder if it's ignorance or a complete misconception of themselves that cause this, or maybe I'm just too hard on myself?  But then again, if we do not see our own faults how are we going to improve and become better, more caring, giving and kind?

All of this has been fueled by one recent event where the world's biggest critic received some criticism and it was a disaster for all those around. Talk about damage control...

The term practice what you preach seems to come to mind all of a sudden...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...where to start?

    Criticism is usually responded to with some form of defence mechanism: return criticism, denial, anger, physical attack even. Very seldom is criticism taken constructively.

    As for all those self-help books? The only thing they are good for is for lighting fires. Read them, memorise the good and helpful bits, then burn the damn thing. You've already made the author rich by buying the book (or the person you pinched it from has), so take the next logical step in self-enlightenment and torch the book. It's amazing how good you feel about yourself afterwards.

    It's human nature to find fault in everything and others except oneself, but very few admit to having their own faults (says he, sitting typing with a Superman t-shirt on). Sometimes, events happen that force one to sit down and re-evaluate things and one's self, but whether anything lasting comes out of those moments of introspection remains to be seen and usually end up on the shitpile of life lived.

    It takes a "big man" to own up to his/her faults and take steps to correct them. Sometimes, though, it's best to just say to yourself "Ah f..kit" and leave things the way they are...

    Who are you referring to as "...the world's biggest critic..."? There are so many.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested to see how people react to certain situations and... This one was a huge shocker to say the least...

    Lol! I honestly do hate those books, they're awful and are around to make people feel guilty about being...human...


    Everyone is a critic in the fashion industry, some people are just more blunt than others...

    ReplyDelete