Stuff I say...

I don't run after people... It ruins my pretty shoes... How can we expect anything to change, when our actions remain the same? Creator of trouble... Bye, bye kitty... Mondays always need an extra shot of espresso... I don't follow my destiny, I make my destiny... Crazy/Beautiful...
I fell in love with the stars, the beauty of the night....

Thursday, May 5, 2011

No Tagalog...

Yes, english is spoken by everyone here in the Philippines. Language isn't really a barrier...
Except when giving directions...

I'm suppose to do a shoot at summit studio this morning...
Great, I had landmarks to get me there.. But...
The studio is hidden in a compound that really does not look very much studio like...

So I asked for directions, while walking up and down next to a ridiculously busy road and I swear I'm going to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning...
Everyone was kind enough to try and help, but sadly they would give me directions in Tagalog.. My knowledge of the language involves saying hello and thank you... Not much help in this situation..
So after giving them a blank look and blinking a couple of times, we all just stare at each other and I giggle and say, I don't understand, do I go straight? (I dub this, Mea's awkward situation escape route)

Yes, I look like an idiot when I do this, but I don't care much, since I just need to find my destination...
Dignity vs getting off the streets?
I choose the latter..

Salamat (thank you) to every security guard and cashier at 7/11 who helped, maybe I should walk around with little gifts in my bag to express my gratitude..


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

  1. Are you living in a hotel? If so, then surely the concierge should be able to help with directions?

    Alternatively, get a cheapie GPS and local maps...might help? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the places that I have to go to are in such interesting areas that it's impossible to find if you're not a local. And the taxi drivers love not knowing where to take a foreigner, they always end up driving in cirlces around the place to make the rate higher....

    I don't know if a gps will work so well, google maps doesn't have all the places either...
    I'm going to look for an app for my iPad that could possibly help a bit...

    ReplyDelete