Stuff I say...

I don't run after people... It ruins my pretty shoes... How can we expect anything to change, when our actions remain the same? Creator of trouble... Bye, bye kitty... Mondays always need an extra shot of espresso... I don't follow my destiny, I make my destiny... Crazy/Beautiful...
I fell in love with the stars, the beauty of the night....

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Am I slave of my circumstances?

Sometimes we think that we do the right thing at the right time, but looking back at some of the things I have done I tend to wonder if I did it the right way . Hindsight is 20/20.…

Now here’s the question that I keep on asking myself.
If I act according to my circumstances, so if I decided to act in a specific manner at the time, that was the best way to handle the situation, does it make it right, even if it wasn’t the best ethical decision?
So if the answer to the question is yes then it proves that people are slaves of circumstance.

Now I don’t want to be a slave of my circumstances, because if I am stuck in a bit of a sticky spot I will get out of the situation without the consideration of others.
I also don’t need to be a slave of circumstance, there are so many people who are stuck in the worst situations and they keep on smiling (sometimes it seems nearly impossible, I take my hat off to people who are this amazing)

Good people aren’t always the ones with a perfect life, the ones who have gone through all the hardships and who have survived the storms, those are the people who have integrity.
But then I’m not saying that all people who have had very fortunate circumstances are bad, maybe just less experienced.

Okay so the whole reason why I’m thinking about this is because I’ve had a charitable week so far, Not all of it has been by choice.
My wallet got stolen a few days ago. Now this was charity without any choice, (how to sugarcoat theft)
I just hope the person who stole it used my cash wisely…

And also I have to help out with a new room mate. Usually I just help enough to not inconvenience my life too much, but this time round I decided that that’s probably the worst thing to do. Just doing enough, not always being there when someone needs me… Wow, now that’s probably the nastiest form of disappointment.

One wake up call from losing a mere wallet.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, and even if the circumstances aren’t the best, it doesn’t mean that my attitude shouldn’t be.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't say "victims of circumstance" as "slave" is (strangely) a bit more on the positive side.

    I agree though, we are all slaves to circumstance and it doesn't matter what the circumstances are and as slaves are supposed to do, you will always react to the circumstance/s. Typically, through human nature, you will always act/react to your own benefit.

    Sorry to hear about your wallet being "diefed". It's never nice to have that happen to anyone, let alone yourself.

    And it's always a good feeling afterwards when you've helped someone who maybe can't help themself due to circumstance, especially if the person acknowledges your help. Sometimes, though, just the smile on the persons face is enough reward. We get that in the Sea Rescue that I'm part of. Bring a boat load of scared sailors off the water and the smiles on their family's faces are enough...

    Take care on your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victim just seems like such an... unfortunate word. Not that slave is any better, but it seems more appropriate as we cannot always control everything that happens to us.

    My cards and stuff can be replaced, so all is okay with the wallet, not the end of the world.

    Well lesson to be learned for me is to help out more I think. If I have the power and opportunity to help I should, it's what I would want when I am in need.

    Thanks, travel is broadening my horizons, no puns intended.. :)

    ReplyDelete